Cited by The Times Magazine as “the undisputed champion of online fashion”, ASOS is one of the world’s most successful online fashion retailers. With 98 million visitors a month and 9 million active customers buying from 237 countries – ASOS is a hugely successful and rapidly expanding global organisation.
Helping design a global identity, loyalty and integrated eCommerce solution for ASOS
Analytics, along with user feedback, identified issues in ASOS’ checkout process. Difficulties during registration and sign-in were obstructing the sales process – resulting in a loss of conversion. Determined to make the journey from registration and sign-in, through to purchase, as smooth as possible, ASOS were looking to integrate a single sign on with a ‘single view of the customer’. This would allow customers who use Facebook, Twitter and Google+ to benefit from a seamless login and social sharing experience across all platforms.
At the same time, ASOS was eager to better understand its shoppers. If they could build stronger relationships with them ASOS would improve its customer engagement and drive revenue from existing customers.
As experts in identity verification and social integration, ASOS asked us to develop a new identity service, which could be incorporated into its existing technology assets. To this end, we worked with ASOS to connect its storefront with various social channels.
1. A vendor neutral cloud architecture that leveraged multiple cloud services.
Our vendor neutral cloud architecture had four optional solutions that leveraged multiple cloud services. The chosen solution combined the consumer management capabilities of an off-the-shelf identity platform with the identity features of Microsoft Azure.
2. Proof of concept to de-risk the solution.
We de-risked that solution by developing a proof of concept, which incorporated ASOS’ legacy systems, and managed all aspects of the solution’s development. This included a new website build, API and security token service https://my.asos.com.
3. Integration of identity service
The identity service enabled ASOS to establish the systems integration and build the bespoke features that remain unique to the ASOS enterprise.
Since the implementation of the identity service, Amido and ASOS have continued to work together to solve business problems through the smarter use of technology. As well as designing and delivering a scalable ecommerce system to enable 30% annual revenue growth, Amido have architected and delivered a global rewards programme, redesigned their Bag and Saved Items user interface and are in the middle of redesigning their global fulfilment system to enable global expansion
- Friction was removed from the checkout process. This reduced the number of customers that abandoned transactions and increased conversion.
- A consistent and reusable registration and sign on user experience across all ASOS websites and applications, including mobile apps, was established.
- The inclusion of social sign on delivered instant insight into newly acquired customers, richer information around customer registration, an up to date view of each returning customer and a single representation of any customer – no matter how they sign in to ASOS.
- Improved customer engagement through social sharing.
- Better understanding of customer behaviour.
- An extensible, standards compliant, global solution with a low operational overhead.
Bob Strudwick, CTO, ASOS
ASOS customers are digitally-savvy, socially-active shoppers. We challenged identity experts Amido to develop a cloud-based solution that would streamline our sign-in process, integrate with social media and leverage our existing technology. By designing and implementing a solution with no vendor lock-in, which could integrate with our legacy systems and scale globally, they delivered significant business benefit whilst consistently delivering on time and on budget.